Students in exchange programme

If you wish to come to study at AMU as part of an exchange programme:

Enrolment and payment of admission fees at your home university are compulsory. You are, therefore, still a student at that university, and you come to Aix-Marseille University to attend classes and to get a sufficient number of credits to validate the diploma from your home university.

GOOD TO KNOW: Throughout your stay at AMU you will be mentored by the teacher in charge of the exchange, who will guide you in your studies during your time here. Thus, your period of international mobility will be well supervised.


Accommodation in CROUS halls of residences

Allocation of rooms is not automatic, it is subject to availability.

  • If you wish to stay at university halls of residence; you need to inform your AMU International Relations correspondent by indicating it on the on-line application. Your request will be considered and you will get an answer in July if you are arriving for the first semester and in December for the second.
  1. If your request is accepted: you will receive an email from the web app INTERLOG, which you have to register with, follow the procedure and pay the deposit asked for so that the booking can take effect.
  2. If your request is refused: you will have to make the necessary arrangements to find accommodation in town.

We remind you that you are not allowed to contact the CROUS directly; you have to go through the International Relations Office.

On arrival in France, only students who have been allocated university accommodation and have received a confirmation email of their application from INTERLOG can go directly to the university halls of residence to get the keys to their room.

If you are allocated a room in halls, you commit yourself to:

  • paying the rest of the accommodation fees for the semester, on arrival
  • live in your room for the duration of your studies at Aix-Marseille University – if you leave early you will not get your money back.
  • only live in your university room for the duration of your studies and not after that.

Requests to lengthen the period of study do not mean that you will automatically be able to stay longer at the university halls.

Accommodation in town

STUDAPART, AMU's housing plateform

This plateform allows you to : 

  • Find / Offer a renting in France and abroad
  • Find your housmate(s) in France and abroad
  • Find / Offer a temporary room in France and abroad

Link to the plateform Studapart : 

Practical information and useful addresses for finding accommodation in town can be found in the International Student Handbook (pages 32 to 39). Your correspondent at the International Relations Office can also be of help.


House insurance

Whatever your type of accommodation, you need to take out house insurance which covers at least water and fire damage. You can choose any company. For further information contact the student insurance companies – LDME, MEP…, CROUS Accommodation Office, or your bank.

Health insurance

Only students who are European citizens or who have a permanent residence permit in UE, and who are 28 or under on the 1st October of the current academic year (born from 1988,October 1st for 2016/2017) are exempt from registration with the French Social Security for Students.

Upon arrival you need to show your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). This card is proof of your rights to health insurance, and allows you, during your temporary stay in another European country, to benefit from necessary healthcare costs. In order to get your card, you should contact your health insurance service at least three weeks before you leave for France.

  • An EHIC will enable you to access state-provided healthcare in European Economic Area (EEA) countries, including Switzerland, at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover your treatment until you return to the UK.


  • If you are non-European citizens aged 28 or under (on the 1st October of the current academic year) MUST register with the French Social Security for Students. Registration takes place on your arrival in France, when you enrol (for the year 2015/2016 the fee is €215).
  • If you are non-European citizens and aged 28 or older must provide a certificate of health insurance cover in France, which is valid for the duration of their stay in France. Without this document, you will not be issued with an Aix-Marseille student card.

Visa, temporary resident permit

Students who are non-EU or non-EEA citizens:

  • On arrival in France: VISA LONG SEJOUR valant titre de séjour (long stay visa equivalent to a residence permit)

As soon as you arrive in France you must validate your resident permit.

  • Application process for long stay visas

The International Relations Office will send a letter by registered mail to the OFII (Office Français d’Immigration et de l’Intégration – French Office for Immigration and Integration), within two months of your arrival:

  • the form entitled demande d’attestation OFII, that you have completed and that has been signed by the French consular service.
  • copy of your passport: photo page, visa page and entry stamp (from France or another country in the Schengen area).

The OFII will send you acknowledgement of receipt of your application and at a later date, notification of a medical examination.

The day of your medical examination, you must bring the following documents:

  • your passport
  • copy of your proof of address in France
  • 1 ID photo
  • the OFII stamp for €58 that you can buy online at or at a newsagent’s or tax office.

The OFII will then affix a vignette (sticker) to your passport which certifies that all the formalities have been carried out. Your AGDREF reference number will appear on this vignette valant titre de séjour temporarire.

Specific help for students with disabilities

If you have a disability and wish to take part in the Erasmus+ programme at Aix-Marseille University, you should insure acceptance of your application beforehand. To do this, your home university should contact the AMU International Relations Office in advance, to verify that the University is in a position to respond to your specific needs (Examinations Office, A3 enlargement, appropriate software, extra time for exams etc.)